Education Program Volunteering Opportunities
VOLUNTEERING BEYOND COVID-19
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the St Vincent de Paul Society, especially at this challenging time.
The St Vincent de Paul Society Victoria is continuing to respond to the growing challenges of the COVID-19 outbreak and while some of our services may look a little different temporarily, we emphasise that – we are still here.
Our education programs are closed during this time, but as soon as isolation restrictions are lifted we will be opening our doors again. Our education program team are exploring other ways they can assist their student cohort during this time.
Its important to know we are actively recruiting for education program volunteers at this time, as we need you to support the future rebuild in our communities. If education programs is specifically where you wish to support, we can place you on our wait-list and when things are looking brighter (which they will) we will get in touch to discuss the options with you. We will also provide you with updates along the way to keep you informed of the things the Society are doing to help during this time.
Please read below to learn more about the volunteering process and instructions on how to join our wait-list.
VOLUNTEER WITH US, BECAUSE GOOD WORKS!
Who: Volunteers to support children in our Education Programs across Victoria.
When: Different days depending on program but typically weekdays from around 3pm and Saturday from 9:30am (for our Dandenong program).
Where: Please click here to open up our Vinnies map. You can select on the left just education programs to see where they are located.
We currently have education programs in Northcote, West Heidelberg, Maidstone, Dandenong, Noble Park and Warrnambool.
Please note: You will also be able to see various other volunteer opportunities available. If you do not want to view these you can untick them on the left hand column. If you see any other opportunities that interest you, you can view these in more detail here.
Requirements: No experience required. A Working with Children’s Check and Police Check is required before you commence, arranged and paid for by St Vincent de Paul. St Vincent de Paul will assist you in acquiring these checks and completing a food handling course.
We are looking for people with:
- A passion for helping others and giving back to your local community
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- An ability to build rapport in a respectful manner with people from a range of backgrounds and cultures
- The ability to act with empathy and without judgement
- The ability to commit to shifts once a week at least 2 school terms.
- Someone looking to join a supportive, like-minded and committed team of volunteers who make a real difference in the lives of young people
As a volunteer you will be able to:
- First and foremost, read with the students or support them to complete their homework!
- Help students from a range of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds to develop their social and language skills in a fun learning environment
- Provide direction, support and guidance to the students where needed
We can offer you...
- Initial and ongoing training opportunities!
- The opportunity to build lifelong friendships with other volunteers
How do I apply? Please use the form below to apply and be a part of something both exciting and meaningful! We will place you on our wait-list and we will keep you informed of what we are doing along the way.
Learn more about our Education Programs!
Our 6 Education Programs offered reading, companionship, and homework help to 977 students who attended the programs in 2019.
St Vincent de Paul Society Victoria is proactive in supporting child safety
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences.
We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.