Volunteer with Dandenong Education Program
WE NEED YOU!
Who: Volunteers to support children in our Dandenong Education Program
When: Saturdays from 9.30am – 12.30pm, during school terms
Where: St Mary's School, 79 McRae Street, Dandenong
Requirements: Working with Children’s Check and Police Check arranged by St Vincent de Paul. St Vincent de Paul will assist you in acquiring these checks and completing a food handling course.
- Have a passion for teaching or helping young people thrive?
- Enjoy supporting young student’s education?
- Love giving back to your local community
If you do, we would love you to join the Dandenong Education Program.
Our Dandenong Education Program is seeking a number of Volunteer Tutors to join the Program. This is a great opportunity for individuals who have either studied (or are currently studying) a Bachelor of Education, Special Education, Speech Pathology or relevant degree – and/or those who have previous experience working with young people with a range of learning needs. You will be joining a supportive, like-minded and committed team of Volunteers who make a real difference in the lives of these young people through the tutoring services provided.
We are currently looking for:
- English Tutors – seeking Volunteers who are qualified in Education and experienced in teaching English to primary or high school aged students
- Specialist Tutors – seeking Volunteers who have a background (or degree) specialising in Autism Spectrum Disorder, Speech Pathology or related field
- General Tutors – seeking Volunteers from a range of education, social work and community services backgrounds
There are many aspects for you to get involved in as a Volunteer Tutor, including:
- Supporting students in their education by helping with their academic skills, language development, school work and readings
- Helping students from a range of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds to develop their social and language skills in a fun learning environment
- Providing direction, support and guidance to the students
A little about our Dandenong Education Program:
The Dandenong Education Program is a free educational service assisting students with literacy and numeracy, as well as general social and academic support. Our Volunteers are passionate and committed, thus allowing students to build trusting relationships and a good support network, where their education can thrive!
The Dandenong Education Program is a vibrant and exciting community that supports students in Grade 3 through to Year 12, who live or go to school in the area. We help a range of students from various migrant, refugee, special needs and/or socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds, with a range of learning needs. Most of our students at the Program are from families that speak English as an additional language (EAL).
The St Vincent de Paul Society aspires to be recognised as a caring Catholic charity offering ‘a hand up’ to people in need. We do this by respecting their dignity, sharing our hope and encouraging them to take control of their destiny by providing practical support, advocacy and friendship. The Society is one of the most recognised and highly regarded charitable organisations that has been providing support to Victorians for over 160 years.
What skills do you need to be a Volunteer for the Education Program?
We are looking for individuals with:
- A background and/or relevant degree (or currently studying) a Bachelor of Education, Speech Pathology, Special Education or Social Work or similar qualification
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- An ability to build rapport in a respectful manner with individuals from a range of backgrounds and cultures
- A passion for helping others and giving back to your local community
- The ability to act with empathy and without judgement
- The ability to commit to shifts once a week for at least 6 months
We offer the opportunity to:
- Make a meaningful difference in the lives of young people
- Apply your skills in English Teaching, Social Work, Speech Pathology, Education Support and/or Special Education
- Gain access to valuable coaching and mentoring opportunities, continued professional development and a range of other volunteering opportunities with our supportive organisation
- Be part of a strong team that makes a significant impact to our local community
- Build lifelong friendships
How to apply:
To apply for the Volunteering opportunities with the Dandenong Education Program, please complete the online application form below
St Vincent de Paul Society Victoria is proactive in supporting child safety.
Please note: Prior to engaging in any Volunteer activity with the St Vincent de Paul Society some checks are required. These will include a National Criminal History Police Check and current Working with Children Check.
Please note: Opportunities are only available to those aged 18 years and over. This is not an approved Centrelink activity.
Thank you for your interest in joining our Program, we look forward to speaking with you soon!
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences.
We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.